Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Colorful Kielbasa (sans cheese)

What a great response to my first few posts... thank you! I have added a "Follow by Email" link to the left and you can always follow me on Google at the end of the posts.

I know I did some cheating with choosing legumes for February in My Year of Vegetables and I appreciate you all forgiving me. But to make sure I'm keeping in line with the intent of this year, and as promised, I am incorporating true green beans in to February.

Tonight I made a recipe from my Mom. The fact that my Mom likes green beans, blows my mind! But I think anyone would like them if they had this recipe ;) I remember her cooking this when I was probably in high school or college and not being a fan. I will say my taste buds have morphed and this was quite tasty! I could see me experimenting with this super easy recipe in the future.

Colorful Kielbasa

Ingredients
1 can of Cream of Celery Soup
1 1/2 cups of water
1 lb smoked kielbasa, cut into 1/2" pieces
3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
Some frozen green beans, cut into 3/4" pieces
4 1/2 ozs sliced mushrooms
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Instructions
In skillet, combine soup, water and 2 tablespoons of butter; bring to a boil. Add kielbasa and rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 18 minutes or until rice is almost tender. Stir in beans and mushrooms. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender and beans are heated through. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until melted.

As I was typing this I discovered that I completely forgot the cheese! Dang... that would have pushed this recipe from "tasty" to "very tasty".  Well I'll just have to add the cheese next time :) I "halved" this recipe just in case we didn't like it. We haven't been eating any leftovers, so I didn't need a ton of this stuff in the fridge for later disposal. We had more than enough for two of us!

You'd be surprised at how much healthier the Turkey stuff is!

Before I added the green beans and mushrooms and before the rice plumped up.

The recipe says "some" green beans, I just made it the same as the mushrooms,
I used Baby Bella mushrooms, not canned :)

The end result with a whole wheat dinner roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly