Friday, March 16, 2012

Beef and Cabbage Casserole

I'm terribly sorry it's taken me so long to post again! This is not good blog etiquette and I will do my best to be more consistent with posting... my apologies. 

This next recipe was delicious! I really thought it was going to be bland, but I was very wrong. Well not very wrong... just wrong. It has a good taste to it and didn't require very much "doctoring" as my dad would call it! However, I'm pretty sure I saw Trevor sneak in and dash some things on the beef while it was browning.

The recipe came from my mom who would make this in the downstairs mother-in-law apartment for her mom, while in the upstairs kitchen she'd make her dad stuffed green peppers. Oh the things we do for parents! I can imagine this was a huge treat for them both and that the effort was much appreciated. The minute I pulled the casserole out of the oven, the smell transported me back to my grandparent's little mother-in-law apartment... they must have liked cabbage! I'm starting to understand why.

BEEF/CABBAGE CASSEROLE
 
Lightly brown 1 chopped onion in a little butter; add 1 lb. lean ground beef, salt, pepper and cook until slightly brown.
Put 3 cups coarsely shredded cabbage in bottom of 3 quart casserole. Spread onion/beef mixture on top of cabbage and another 3 cups cabbage on top. Evenly spread 1 can undiluted tomato soup on top. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour.




I was worried about liking this recipe, so I immediately cut it in half. Alright, the truth might be because I wanted to use my new Le Creuset dish again! This was the perfect size for Trevor and I and we had just a little over for lunch for one the next day. Unfortunately I made the mistake of NOT cutting the tomato soup in half. No wonder it tasted so good, it was chalked full of sodium! We liked the amount of liquid, so next time I might use the same amount, but just purchase a lower sodium tomato soup. I was also worried about it being served by itself, but it really didn't need a starch with it. However, it might go great over mashed potatoes! 

My next post should hopefully be about the awesome Corned Beef and Cabbage we'll be making for St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly