Monday, March 26, 2012

German Cabbage Casserole "Kohl Und Hackfleisch"

March is coming to a close and I have quite a few more cabbage recipes to go! I have a feeling Trevor and I will be sick of cabbage by the end of this week.

This next recipe comes to us from Germany. It's called Kohl Und Hackfleisch. All together now... "Kohl Und Hackfleisch"... just kidding, we'll make it easy on ourselves and call it German Cabbage Casserole. It was very tasty! It's similar to the Beef and Cabbage Casserole, but the way I did it was a bit healthier. 

Kohl Und Hackfleisch (German Cabbage Casserole)
Original Recipe can be found here

1 lb ground turkey or beef
1 medium onion
1 medium cabbage chopped 
1 garlic clove minced
1 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste

I served it with some french style green beans and a dinner roll.

Brown meat (I used ground turkey breast), onions and garlic
until onions are translucent.

Chop head of cabbage...
this photo highlights that I need a larger cutting board!

Add cabbage to meat/onions/garlic and cover.
Cook until cabbage is translucent (about 20 mins).

I couldn't help but "doctor" this up as my dad would say!
I added smoked paprika, turkey bacon bits and butter... mmm butter.

Add in cheddar cheese and sour cream. Stir well.

Place in greased casserole dish (mine was a 8x8).
Sprinkle bread crumbs over top and bake at 375 for 40 minutes.

That's it! Another easy and delicious casserole. Please note that I halved this recipe and it made plenty for two with leftovers for lunch. Other than the "doctoring" I did, I wouldn't change anything about it. I would even omit my turkey bacon bits... but definitely keep the butter! Not sure if I could really taste the smoked paprika, but it did add a little color to the mix.

Happy German Casserole-ing!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly