Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Corned Beef and Cabbage

AKA... Boil the crap out of everything!

Trevor and I were lucky enough to have a visit from one of my best friends. It was so wonderful to spend time with her and her boyfriend. We were under the impression that they were bonafide Vegans. Needless to say I was curious how I was going to sneak in my Corned Beef.  Lucky for us we found out that they were very loose on their definition, so we went ahead and celebrated St. Patrick's Day in style!

This meal is so easy. You literally just boil everything, and boil, and boil. The package on the Corned Beef said to boil it for 2.5-3 hours. Check. How do you make mashed potatoes? Boil. How do you cook cabbage? Boil. Hmmmm.... a-ha! A theme! Now I do know that you can combine items and boil together or even put it all in the crockpot. For various reasons we went for more of a boil-each-thing-in-a-different-pot-and-watch-it approach. I promise you there was wine and plenty of catching up while we watched our pots boil!

I did Google "Boiled Cabbage" and came up with this recipe which I followed loosely. The only trick I used was to apply the butter with a basting brush so you could really get in all those layers. Worked like a charm!

Hope you all had a wonderful St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly